Grizzly Gaming


Monday, May 10, 2010

"Realism Versus" to become permanent part of Lef 4 Dead 2

Before I started this blog, I would write columns for the Life section of The News of Delaware County and one of those columns was a review of Valve’s “Left 4 Dead 2.” In that column I highlighted the fact that numerous ‘net-nerds were calling for others to boycott “L4D2” because they were outraged that Valve would update a successful game and try to sell it. Sheer madness, right? I’m pretty embarrassed because, at first, I was one of those nerds, raging about “how dare Valve try and sell us basically the same game a little over a year after the original’s release.” Once I played it for myself, I promptly took some cooking courses so I could properly eat my words – “L4D2” was/is amazing and is only getting better.


I say getting better because with the recent downloadable content pack “The Passing” also comes the addition of a weekly “Mutation” game type. These modes are welcome additions to the standard game types, but are only available for one week before they’re gone forever. Well, that was what Valve originally intended but after getting a ton of positive feedback about the first released Mutation, “Realism Versus” is going to become a permanent mode.


Versus is undoubtedly my favorite mode in “L4D” games. Playing through a regular campaign just isn’t as fun as being able to play as the Survivors and the Infected. I’ve only played Realism proper a few times since buying “L4D2,” mainly because it was near impossible to complete a campaign even on Normal and I’d rather play a regular campaign or play Versus than straight-up Realism. Something special happens when you combine Realism and Versus modes, though. Maybe it’s how much fun it is to play as the Infected in general, the ease with which the Infected team can dominate, the intense dread you feel playing as the humans (knowing supplies and teammates aren’t outlined on your screen), something else or a combination of them all. It isn’t a mode I could or would want to play all the time, but it’s definitely a nice change of pace from regular ol’ Versus.


In an in-game poll, Valve reported that 68% wanted Realism Versus to become permanent, with just 21% wanting it to stay as a one-off Mutation mode. Luckily for the majority of fans, Realism Versus will soon become an official mode.


In news about other Mutations, this week’s mode is “Follow the Liter,” a variation of the Scavenge mode. In this Mutation, the Survivors fight to reach a sole can of gas rather than being given numerous cans to collect. I haven’t played it yet, but it could be a fun variation on Scavenge that may be permanent if there’s enough love for it. Last week’s Mutation, which I can’t remember the name of, was pretty lame, though. Each Survivor started a standard campaign with their health counting down (the same as when you get picked up after being incapacitated) and no health packs to be found – only pills and adrenaline. Valve noted that the next Mutation will be called “The Last Gnome on Earth,” so you can bet someone in your group will be hauling poor little Gnome Chompsky through some pretty heinous zombie hordes.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

My Photo
Name:

An avid gamer and long-time pro wrestling fan, stay tuned to Grizzly Gaming and the Delco Elbow Drop for game reviews and pro wrestling news.

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]