Grizzly Gaming


Wednesday, November 10, 2010

I really don't want to buy Black Ops - but I kinda do


Call of Duty: Black Ops came out the other day. I've seen reports from analysts who predict it will sell more than both Halo: Reach and Modern Warfare 2 and have read lots of good reviews of the game by journalists as well as from gamer friends. I hadn't at all planned on getting Black Ops (as I mentioned here in my last post) but the more I think about and read about it, I find myself toying with the idea of picking it up. But here is the catch - I hated MW2, Black Ops' predecessor. Rarely am I faced with such a gaming quandary. To preface, I'll offer some background.

I was never a huge Call of Duty fan to begin with. WWII shooters got old really fast and back then I preferred the Medal of Honor series when it came to getting my Nazi killing kicks. I was really intrigued by COD4: Modern Warfare and ended up buying it and having a lot of fun with the game. The same cannot be said for MW2, however. Oh, how I loathe MW2 (not even past-tense, I still hate that game). I don't often sell games, especially big-name games with competitive multiplayer but I sold my copy of MW2 within weeks of buying it.

First-person shooters seem to be the genre I most often fall back on when I don't have a new game to play. Ever since Fallout: New Vegas helped wean me off of Halo: Reach, I've been wanting to get back in an FPS and lately, I've been wanting to play an FPS that isn't Halo. And wouldn't you know it, right around this time Black Ops hits the market and all I hear about it is how great it is, especially since I hear its more COD4 than MW2.

I really don't want to buy Black Ops only to end up hating it and wondering why I bought it in the first place. But when I think I've finally decided not to buy it, I start to think, "Well what if it is fun? Like, really fun? So much fun that it makes you forget all about the n00b-tubing and teleporting ninjas in MW2?" And then I find myself back where I started - considering making a trip to Best Buy to get Black Ops.

I don't know what to do. I've always been fairly indecisive, but this needs to be resolved since I keep finding myself absent-mindedly weighing the pros and cons of buying Black Ops.

Maybe I should just sidestep this whole problem and buy Rock Band 3. You know what? That's what I'm going to do. I've been dying to play the keys, Bill Brufords' drumming and that wicked bass line in Yes' "Roundabout" anyway.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

My Photo
Name:

An avid gamer and long-time pro wrestling fan, stay tuned to Grizzly Gaming and the Delco Elbow Drop for game reviews and pro wrestling news.

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]