Grizzly Gaming


Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Transformers: Fall of Cybertron demo thoughts



Like pretty much every kid who grew up in the 80s, I loved the cartoons of the day. Name a cartoon from the day and I probably watched it – “Thundercats,” “The Real Ghostbusters,” “G.I. Joe,” “Transformers,” I was a huge fan of them all. But despite my epic nerdery at such a young age, I never bothered playing “Transformers: War for Cybertron” when it was released on PS3 and Xbox 360 two years ago. And after playing the recently released demo for “Transformers: Fall of Cybertron” I’m really starting to wonder what I could’ve been thinking.

I’ve been into video games since a young age as well and if you had told my younger self that some day I’d be able to play a game where I not only could create my own Transformer but play as series favorites like Optimus Prime or Grimlock, I would’ve probably hyperventilated with excitement until I passed out.  Now that a game exists where all those things are possible, I’m handling the situation with a bit more dignity and grace - but just barely.

Thought I never played “War for Cybertron” I had heard from friends that it was actually a pretty decent game and not just a cheap cash in on the popularity of the franchise (or the popularity of Michael Bay’s movies). Still, I never actually got around to playing it myself so I have no idea if “Fall” has made any improvements to the formula that “War” presented. But I can tell you this – “Fall” is a very, very fun game.

As the name implies, “Fall of Cybertron” focuses on the final conflict between the Decepticons and the Autobots that ultimately forces the Autobots to flee to Earth. In the full game, you’ll be able to play through separate Autobot and Decepticon campaigns. Well, I’m hoping they’re separate and that the levels aren’t all the same, just with an Autobot or Decepticon taking center stage. In addition to the campaigns, there is also a multiplayer mode with a character customization system. 

Optimus Prime is only one of many recognizable Transformers
to get a visual makeover for "Fall of Cybertron"

The demo offers two different single player levels – an Autobot mission starring Bumblebee and a Decepticon level featuring the Combaticon Blast Off – as well as multiplayer. Bumblebee’s mission is pretty boring and I’m sure was included as more of a story teaser than to actually show off the gameplay. Blast Off’s level, on the other hand, shows off quite a bit. In addition to showing off a large, wide open yet highly detailed environment, you also get a taste of playing in both vehicular form as well as being on foot. Blast Off, as his name suggests, is capable of flight in his default vehicle form, a helicopter, but can also fold into a sleeker, jet form when turning on the speed boosters. As a vehicle, Blast Off can access heavier weapons but is also capable of quite a bit of destruction on foot as well. In addition to carrying two weapons (as well as being able to perform a melee strike), each Transformer has a special maneuver performed by pressing the right bumper. Blast Off’s special power unleashes a massive shockwave, toppling any Autobot unlucky enough to be caught in its wake.

Going into the demo, I wasn’t expecting much. Like I said, I never played the previous game and though I had always heard good things. I guess I never actually believed it, feeling safer just assuming that this licensed game would be about as good as most licensed games. Now, that’s to say that all licensed games are terrible – just most. Once I actually started playing, however, I quickly found that “Fall” was not only an incredibly fun third person shooter but it actually goes beyond most generic shooter titles, adding variety to the genre by combining on-foot combat with vehicular combat. Along with playing very smoothly and having solid gunplay, “Fall” implements a simple yet effective cover system. Instead of having a button to move your character into and out of cover, the B button switches which side the camera is on, letting you peek out from behind a solid object without actually being stuck to it.

"Fall of Cybertron" offers four distinct multiplayer classes to choose from

But the multiplayer is the real meat of the demo. In it, you can pick from four different classes, each sporting different traits, abilities and weapons. For example, the Titan is the largest by far, with a heavy machine gun and an “Energon Collector” (that functions similarly to a shotgun except the damage it deals is returned to you as health), a special ability that performs a devastating melee attack and can transform into a massive tank. My favorite class, though, is the Scientist. Not only does he have powerful weapons and a special ability which heals nearby teammates but is the only multiplayer class that can turn into an aerial vehicle. Needless to say, the Scientist seems to be a fairly popular class.

Though it only offers one map and two modes (team deathmatch and conquest, which is like COD’s domination), the thrill of dashing through a map, engaging in a firefight, watching your enemy transform into a jet and fly away as you transform into a jet and give chase all in one seamless sequence of events is incredible – and I don’t think I feel that way because that little kid in me is doing cartwheels over the novelty of playing as a actual transformer. The slick gameplay that I experienced in the single player missions translates perfectly to the multiplayer portion of the game and could only get better with more modes and more levels.

In fact, the only thing I don’t feel this game got right is the weight of the characters, meaning that their movement doesn’t necessarily feel as heavy as the characters look. But that is literally the only complaint I have about “Fall” and its admittedly a very small, almost insignificant complaint at that.

For some reason, I though that this game slated for a later release but its actually due out in a few weeks, scheduled to release on August 21. Seeing as how I haven’t had much new to play in what feels like months and the next big game on my radar, Borderlands 2, doesn’t come out until midway through September, picking up “Transformer: Fall of Cybertron” might have just made its way onto my “To Do” list.

1 Comments:

Blogger Saqib Khatri said...

This is very educational content and written well for a change. It's nice to see that some people still understand how to write a quality post.! Transformers games

May 3, 2017 at 12:43 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

My Photo
Name:

An avid gamer and long-time pro wrestling fan, stay tuned to Grizzly Gaming and the Delco Elbow Drop for game reviews and pro wrestling news.

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]