Grizzly Gaming


Thursday, October 16, 2014

A challenging but addicting platformer, Spelunky free on PSN this month



Free this month on the PlayStation Network is a platformer called “Spelunky.” Originally developed by two guys (Derek Wu and Andy Hull), the PS4 version was developed by Blitworks. It was initially released in 2009 with PS3 and 360 remakes released in 2013.

I always download these PSN games because who doesn’t love free stuff? I was expecting the usual points-based platformer but what I got was a lot different. Spelunky is brutal. Spelunky is unforgiving. This cutesy, colorful, seemingly kiddy platformer about collecting treasure will kick you when you’re down with pleasure. Honestly, the Dark Souls “You will die” tagline would also fit Spelunky perfectly.

I hated Spelunky at first. I told myself I hated it and I told my friends I tried it but wasn’t crazy about it. But I kept playing. I kept going back for more and eventually I realized why.

I thought at first that Spelunky was too much, that it was overly difficult, the learning curve was too steep and that it was far too unforgiving. But as I kept playing, I kept picking up on ways I could play better. How I could tighten up my game, keep an eye out for traps and play quickly but play smart. It sucks when I accidentally sprint off a ledge, take fall damage, get hit by a bat and bounced into a spike pit and killed within moments of starting a new game (and yes – that actually happened to me) but the more you play, the more you realize how you can avoid those hazards in the future.

In Spelunky, you play as a treasure hunter exploring a strange series of caverns that is constantly changing and comprised of several different areas. The levels are randomly generated so every time you play, your experience is different. There are also I think, five different areas that each present their own traps and enemies. There is lots of treasure to collect which counts toward your high score, but that treasure can also be used to buy items which aids in your progression (like a parachute that saves you from fall damage or a compass which points to the exit in each level). You also have bombs to reach inaccessible areas (or damage enemies) and ropes to reach higher areas (or allow you to descend). There is also a “damsel” in each level which, if taken to the exit, gives you an extra hit point.

The most difficult aspect of Spelunky aren’t the relentless enemies or traps but the fact that you only have one life with four hit points. If you die, you start back at 1-1. Doesn’t matter if you make it to the second, third or fourth level – if you die, you go back to the beginning. Some people won’t be able to get past this aspect. Gamers these days seem to expect check points and save spots and Spelunky doesn’t offer anything like that. Granted, you can access later levels by completing the four levels of an area and giving Tunnel Man items to complete a shortcut to that area, though if you use that shortcut to start your game, your high score won’t be recorded.

Spelunky originally had 8-bit inspired visuals but are very clean and cartoony in the PS4 version. The music also calls back to earlier eras of gaming and is very reminiscent of Sega Genesis music. Honestly, the music is one of my favorite parts of Spelunky and I’ll often catch myself humming various tunes throughout the day. There are also several different characters to choose from and more that can be unlocked through the course of the game.

Despite the tremendous challenge that Spelunky presents and it’s still an incredibly well-made game and one that you could play for hours on end and have fun with yet never quite master. The challenge will always be different every time you boot it up and with random level design, unique challenges and level types, Spelunky will always keep you on your toes and is a platformer that deftly spans the gap between fun challenge and absurdly difficult. Spelunky is free this month on PSN but even if you have to pay for it, it’s well worth the price.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

My Photo
Name:

An avid gamer and long-time pro wrestling fan, stay tuned to Grizzly Gaming and the Delco Elbow Drop for game reviews and pro wrestling news.

Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]